Adobo Beef Tostadas use pantry ingredients to spice up taco night with a rich, smoky flavor. No seasoning packets needed!
- 12 tostada shells
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ small white onion, diced
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 4 tbsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Topping suggestions: lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, crumbed cotija cheese, shredded cabbage, mexican crema, lime juice
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute for 1-2 minutes, until barely softened.
- Add beef and saute for 5-6 minutes
- Carefully drain any grease in the skillet from the beef, and return to stove.
- Add enchilada sauce, adobo sauce, lime juice and spices to beef. Cook on medium-high heat until bubbling, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to medium-low, and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thick.
- When ready to serve, heat up the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave, then top with a small scoop of the beef and toppings of choice.
The adobo sauce can be quite spicy depending on the brand used. You may want to start with adding half the recommended amount and taste before proceeding.