Fried Okra is one of summers best treats! It’s a great appetizer or side dish, and is super easy to make! This post includes options for deep fried okra, pan fried okra and oven fried okra!
- 2-3 pounds of fresh okra
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Fill your fryer with oil to the suggested fill line, and heat until hot.
- Wash okra and trim the ends.
- Cut into pieces about 3/4 wide pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, salt and pepper. Place cut okra into bowl and toss to coat.
- Add flour, cornmeal and baking powder into another bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly sprinkle the okra with the flour mixture. Toss until well combined and okra is completely coated. Add more flour as needed, and toss again.
- Fry okra in small batches, making sure that each piece of okra is not crowded by other pieces. When golden brown and crispy (about 2 minutes), remove from fryer and drain on paper towel before serving.
Modifications for pan fried okra, oven fried okra, and using frozen okra instead of fresh okra are above this recipe card.
Feel free to halve this recipe.
Keywords: fried okra, oven fried okra, pan fried okra, frozen fried okra