This Thanksgiving, switch it up a little bit with this Deep Fried Cajun Turkey! An easy rub and injection give it a crispy skin and so much flavor.
1 Honeysuckle White® Frozen Young Turkey (approximately 17 pounds), de-thawed
4-5 gallons peanut oil
FOR THE CAJUN RUB:
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper (adjust down to decrease spice level)
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
FOR THE CAJUN INJECTION LIQUID:
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the cajun spice rub and cajun injection liquid.
- Prepare turkey, removing neck and giblets from cavity, and patting dry with paper towels.
- Prepare fryer by adding peanut oil and heating to 375 degrees F.
- Inject turkey with cajun injection fluid, about one ounce of injection for each pound of turkey.
- Pat turkey skin dry, then thoroughly coat skin and inside of cavity with cajun spice rub.
- Fry the turkey for 3.5 pounds per minute, until thickest part of breast registers at 165 degrees F.
- Allow turkey to rest for about 30 minutes before carving.
Keywords: cajun turkey, fried turkey, how to fry a turkey, deep fried turkey, deep fried cajun turkey