Green Chicken Pozole (or Pozole Verde) is so simple to make! It includes chicken, hominy, and a spicy green chili broth. Includes instructions for both stove top and slow cooker.
- 2 olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 25 ounce can hominy, drained
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tsp cumin (rub on pork prior to searing)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large soup pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute quickly, for about 30 seconds. Do not allow to burn.
- Add broth, hominy, shredded chicken, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves.
- Cover and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove and throw away bay leaves.
- Add green enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado or garnish of choice.
Keywords: mexican chicken soup, pozole verde, green pozole, posole, chicken posole, chicken pozole, chicken pozole verde, chicken posole verde