These St. Patrick’s Day Rice Krispie Treats are deceptively easy to make! Use a shamrock cookie cutter to make these cute treats.
I have to tell you all the truth. Until I moved to Kansas City after college, we never really celebrated St. Patrick’s Day. The small town I grew up in is most German descent, and the shenanigans of St. Pat’s just aren’t in our genes! That all changed when I moved here to Kansas City, a town with a large population of Irish Catholics. St. Patrick’s Day is simply put, epic, in Kansas City. Parades, parties, you name it. The city is a complete zoo! And my son’s school celebrates the luck of the Irish as well. This year, I’ll be making these St. Patrick’s Day Rice Krispie treats for his class party!
If you’ve been following this blog for while, you know I’m not really a baker. Rice krispie treats are my style. Things that start with a cake mix are also my style. And when things are real busy, picking up baked goods from the grocery store are DEFINITELY my style! But lately, my son has been wanting to make homemade treats for his class that he can help with. He gets so proud when he gets to help put frosting on a cupcake, or sprinkles on a sugar cookie. So, Shamrock Rice Krispies it is this year!
The good news is, this are actually very easy. You make your normal batch of Rice Krispies with a few additions to make them green, spread them out, let them cool and then use your favorite Shamrock cookie cutter to cut them out! The decorations are totally optional, but it’s very fun to use some gold sprinkles! I know that my son and I will be decking these green shamrock treats with plenty of gold sprinkles.
If you love these Green Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats, I think you’ll also love these Peeps Rice Krispie Treats!
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 drops of green gel food coloring
- 6 cups rice cereal
- Clover/shamrock cookie cutter
- gold sprinkles (optional)
- Grease a baking sheet by generously rubbing a stick of butter across it. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the 1/4 cup butter over medium.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until
- completely melted.
- Lower heat. Once marshmallow mixture has melted, add vanilla and fold. Add food coloring and
- stir until marshmallow mix is completely y colored.
- Remove from heat (your marshmallow should have a stretchy, gooey consistency) and fold in
- rice cereal.
- Place mixture into your buttered baking sheet and spread evenly. Lay a piece of parchment
- across the cereal treats and use a rolling pin to create an even top (these cereal treats are
- thinner than most). Using your cookie cutters, cut out your desired shapes (and enjoy the
- scraps!) Place on a separate baking sheet (lined with parchment paper).
- Decorate with gold sprinkles if desired.