Love ice cream but trying to cut calories or dairy? Try this lower calorie, healthier Chocolate Banana Ice Cream made with frozen bananas!
What treats do you typically associate with summer? I think most would say popsicles, but I really love ice cream, especially when it’s hot. Growing up, we would eat ice cream sundaes almost every night after dinner. My Dad had such a big sweet tooth! I still fight that urge now, when it’s hot outside, to scoop myself up a big bowl of ice cream! My husband and son eat ice cream almost every night. Now that I’m watching my calories, I’m trying to make smart substitutions for myself. Making this Healthier Chocolate Banana Ice Cream or (“Nice Cream”), is one of those substitutions! It’s so easy to put together, using frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and maple syrup as a sweetener. You can even add peanut butter, if you’re in to that kind of thing!
Past switching to this chocolate banana ice cream just to eat healthier and save calories, it’s also dairy free! For those looking for a vegan ice cream recipe, this is a great option. It uses almond milk instead of milk, and of course the frozen bananas help make the ice cream nice and creamy, just like you would expect! I’m not sticking to a vegan diet, but I have so many friends that are, that having a vegan ice cream recipe as an option makes me super happy!
Top this Healthier Chocolate Banana Ice Cream with nuts, chocolate syrup, or caramel sauce to make it extra decadent! I recommend eating it right away, but if you want to make it ahead of time, let it soften for a few minutes and give it a good stir before eating.
- 2.5 frozen bananas, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup cacao/coco powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter + 1 tablespoon for mixing
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Get everything ready and chop the frozen bananas into chunks to make it easier on your blender.
- Place the bananas into the blender or food processor followed by the remaining ingredients (reserving one tablespoon of peanut butter)
- Blend until combined. If using a blender you will need to use a tamper to blend the mixture as it will be thick. If using a food processor you may need to stop and scrape down the sides.
- Blend until thick and combined. Use a spatula to place mixture into a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining peanut butter for a swirl look.
- Divide into two bowls and enjoy!