This gooseberry pie recipe has some of the best pie filling I’ve ever tasted! It’s sweet and tart, just like your Grandma used to make!
- 1 pint gooseberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 egg yolks
Pie crust topping
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add gooseberries and water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Drain off some of the excess water, then return to the burner.
- Add the sugar, butter and flour, continue to simmer.
- Beat egg yolks and pour slowly into saucepan. Cook on medium-low heat until thick.
- Pour filling into still frozen pre-made pie crust.
- Top with a second pie crust, cutting slits to vent (or cut for lattice top).
- Brush the pie crust with egg whites. Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Cover the crusts of the pie with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes, until the crust is browned.
- Serving Size: 8