This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyKCMasterpiece #CollectiveBias
You only need four ingredients for these delicious Grilled Honey Bourbon Chicken Skewers!
You all know I’m a Kansas City girl. I wasn’t born here, but I’ve spent most of my adult life in this city. It’s love. I love the people, the culture, the good vibes. And of COURSE I love the barbecue. Everyone debates which city is the barbecue capital, but I need no other proof that Kansas City is king of barbecue than the fact that the World Series of Barbecue (yes, that’s a thing!) is held here every year. I didn’t grow up in Kansas City, but I grew up eating KC Masterpiece® BBQ sauce on just about everything! Even at a young age, I knew what was up.
Barbecuing outside is my favorite summer activity. My husband and I love to make things from scratch (including our sauces and rubs) on the weekend, but there is absolutely NO way that is going to happen during the weeknights after we get home from work! We rely on prepared mixes and sauces for our easy weeknight grilling. For this recipe, I used KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub in the Sweet Honey flavor, which can be found in the condiment aisle. This mix is super versatile and can be turned into a sauce, a marinade, or used as a dry rub. This product is brilliant, because if you keep it on hand, you can make it into about a bazillion different things using pantry items. Need a bbq sauce? Add ketchup. Need a dry rub? Use it as is, or add a bit of lemon juice. Need a marinade? Mix it with some bourbon, or apple juice. The sky’s the limit!
Tips for Perfect Grilled Chicken Skewers
I cut up my chicken breast, and then placed it in a gallon sized plastic bag. To the bag, I added the Sweet Honey spice mix, water and bourbon. This made a nice, thick marinade. I only had time to marinate the meat for about 30 minutes, but overnight is ideal if you have the time. I threaded the chicken onto metal skewers and cooked them over a hot fire for about 15 minutes, rotating every 3-4 minutes. I like to cover the grill while cooking chicken to keep it moist, but remember to open the vents in your grilling lid so that the fire stays hot! I’d recommend using the sauce mix to make a dipping sauce as well, using ketchup as the additive. It tastes great! Remember that when you grill skewers either choose metal skewers or soak your wood skewers in water for at least 30 minutes prior to putting them on the grill. This will keep the grill from burning the wood and keep your skewer intact.
I hope that you enjoy these Grilled Honey Bourbon Chicken Skewers! Let me know how you’re grilling it up, Kansas City style, this summer!
- 2 lbs chicken breast, diced into 1 inch cubes, fat trimmed
- 1 packet, KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub in Sweet Honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Directions: Prepare grill for medium-high heat grilling.
- In a gallon-sized plastic bag, add chicken pieces, sauce mix, water and bourbon.
- Close the bag, removing enclosed air. Massage marinade into the chicken for about one minute.
- Place chicken in refrigerator to marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Thread chicken pieces onto skewers and grill over high heat for about 15 minutes. Rotate skewers every 3-4 minutes. Cover the grill when cooking, but remember to leave lid vents open to allow air in. This will keep the fire nice and hot.
- Gallon sized plastic bag (for marinade)
- Metal or wood skewers