This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BlockPartyHero #CollectiveBias
This Bell Pepper Quinoa Pilaf is the perfect side dish for your next neighborhood block party! It’s great served warm or cold and full of fresh veggies and protein.
What’s your neighborhood like? I always like to hear about other neighborhoods because my own is undergoing some major changes. I live in a lake community, and so naturally it has attracted some retirees who want to enjoy the beautiful views throughout the years. In the past 2-3 years, young families have started moving back in, and we’re trying to resurrect all of the old events that made the neighborhood famous for it’s family friendly ways; fireworks on the 4th, Easter egg hunts, and block parties galore! A small group of parents is now putting on some awesome events, and I really hope that we can keep it up!
When I think about what to bring to a neighborhood block party, I always tend towards two things; an easy and filling appetizer that everyone loves, and a side dish that is healthier than the norm. My side dishes are always a hit, from this easy NO mayo coleslaw to these secret ingredient baked beans. Summer block parties are a great time to be with friends and family. but if you are conscious about what you eat, it can be a little bit stressful.
For my newest block party side dish, I made this Bell Pepper Quinoa Pilaf! I visited Sam’s Club to pick up the ingredients; fresh bell peppers, Swanson Chicken Broth and truRoots Quinoa. I also picked up the easy and filling appetizers, tortilla chips and Pace Organic Salsa, which is now available at Sam’s Club exclusively. I’ve always used chicken broth to make my quinoa! It’s a total flavor enhancer. Quinoa has always been a favorite because it’s a whole grain and has protein. When I can find it, I like to use the truRoots brand because it does not require any prep (washing). It can go right in the pan which is a time saver.
On to the Bell Pepper Quinoa Pilaf recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups Swanson® Certified Organic Vegetable Broth or Swanson® Vegetable Broth or Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peppers and quinoa and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the parsley. Season, if desired.
- Serve warm or cold.
You can enter to win a $1,000 gift card and grab great recipes for your next Block Party here, and remember to visit your favorite Sam’s Club to stock up on all of your summer needs! Select stores are holding Summer Block Party demos. You can see if your store is one of them here.