Fork tender beef pot roast with red wine, mushrooms, and root vegetables. Braised in the oven, but there’s an option for the crock pot or slow cooker!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 3 lb boneless beef roast (I used an arm roast)
- salt and pepper
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced into 1-1.5” pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 sprig rosemary, dried or fresh
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 275F degrees.
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, add olive oil and heat on medium-high heat (turn your oven fan on, there will be smoke!)
- Heavily season each side of the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add beef to heated oil. Sear for 7 minutes on each side, until well browned and crust is formed.
- Remove beef from pot and rest on plate.
- To pot, add carrots and reduce to medium heat. Stir for about 3 minutes, until the sides are a bit browned in color. Then add onions, mushrooms, garlic cloves and shallot. Saute for another 3-5 minutes, until onions are just barely softened.
- Return beef to pot, arrange veggies around the beef.*
- Pour wine, beef broth, spices and pat of butter over beef and veggies.
- Cover pot with lid, leave just slightly ajar to allow for some venting.
- Place pot in oven, roast for about 3 hours.
- Optional: Place dutch oven on stove top (without beef) and turn burner to high. Allow liquid to boil for 7-10 minutes to thicken. Use this to top the beef instead of gravy.
- *At this point, you can add seared beef and veggies to the slow cooker. Pour liquid and spices over it, cover, and roast for 6-8 hours on low heat.
- Beef is done when it shreds fairly easily with a fork, but it shouldn’t “fall apart” or be mushy in texture.
- Serving Size: 5