Using avocado in these easy avocado muffins makes them healthier and so fluffy! Your entire will love these, and the kids will to help mix the light green batter!
I am seriously struggling with the fact that my son turns 2 next week! He’s always been very physically motivated. He sat up early, crawled early, walked early, and now he runs everywhere! He isn’t content sitting still and really keeps me on my toes. Lately, it’s been a struggle to even get him to sit through a meal or snack, so I’m increasing my repertoire of healthy, handheld foods for him. I’ve already posted about our Mini Egg Muffins, which are a breakfast staple around here. Lately, I’ve been experimenting and trying to make healthier muffins for him. This weekend, I tried swapping avocado for the oil in my favorite base muffin recipe, and it worked GREAT! I think these easy avocado muffins will become a staple in our house, plus he LOVED helping me add chunks of avocado and flour to the mixing bowl!
Along with making more on-the-go, handheld foods like these mini avocado muffins for my son, we’ve also had to switch to sturdier diapers! For his first seven months, I cloth diapered. I really loved doing it, but felt like I was always so behind on laundry since I work and travel often. When we switched from cloth to disposable, I started using the cheapie generic diapers. These diapers worked okay until he started moving! We noticed that his diapers were starting to sag and the waist slipping down within an hour of putting them on. They just didn’t hold up considering the acrobatics he performed by the minute!
Once he really got in the groove of walking, we made a switch to Huggies Little Movers. These diapers are designed for super active toddlers, with Double Grip Strips and a super snug waistband so they don’t sag. These were absorbent enough that we stopped having to buy special diapers for nighttime, since Eli is a heavy wetter. Seriously a win/win for us, and he LOVES the Mickey Mouse on each diaper!
I think any Mom of a toddler knows how hard it is to get an active toddler to STOP moving to fix or change a diaper that’s slipping or coming undone. It’s so frustrating, when you feel like you just changed them, and they’re not ready for a completely new diaper just yet! We typically buy Huggies Little Movers at Sam’s Club, because you get free delivery on diapers and wipes, and I can pre-set my diapers and wipes to deliver each month. I really try to limit my trips to the store, because it just eats into our family time at home! Once the diapers arrive, I store a few in each room of the house for easy access. My son loves to go fetch his diapers for me now, which is awesome!
I’d love to hear from you about how you keep your little mover happy! Have you found any great handheld foods for your toddler like these easy avocado muffins? Make sure to check out Huggies Little Mover’s diapers for another way to keep your little mover in the game.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup whole raw cranberries (substitute blueberries or almost any other diced fruit if desired)
- Combine together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Gently stir to combine.
- In a separate, medium mixing bowl, add avocado and beat. Add sugar, beat until well combined.
- Add egg and yogurt, mix until well blended.
- Slowly blend in the dry ingredients, about a tablespoon at a time, beating continuously on a low setting.This makes a very smooth, thick batter.
- Gently fold in cranberries or fruit.
- Spray cavities of mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tbsp of batter into each cavitity. Sprinkle the top of each with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until tops of muffins are firm but still slightly springy.
- I recommend fresh or dried fruit in these muffins. Frozen fruit can be used, but the baking time will need to be extended. Try to remove as much moisture as possible.