- 1.5 lb spaghetti or spaghettini
For the sauce
- 2 cans whole tomatoes, peeled
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, skin removed (do not dice!)
For the scallops
- 1 lb bay scallops, defrosted
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs (I use panko, always)
- 2 tsp parsley
- 3 tbsp parmesan, grated
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and lightly dress in olive oil to keep noodles from sticking together.
- In a medium sauce pan, add tomatoes. Rough crush the tomatoes with your hands. Add butter and onion (do not dice!) Set to a low simmer for 30-45 minutes, stir occasionally.
- About 10 minutes before you are ready to eat, start the scallops. Rinse them, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add olive oil and garlic to a small skillet. Saute garlic for 2-3 minutes until it gets fragrant. Add scallops to skillet, and continue to saute for 10-20 seconds (seriously), then remove from heat. Vigorously move the scallops around the pan until they turn opaque.
- Turn your oven broiler to high. Add bread crumbs, parsley and parmesan to the scallop skillet, and stir to combine. Add the skillet to the top rack of the oven, and broil for a little less than one minute.
- Fish the onion pieces out of the sauce. Dress noodles with tomato butter sauce, then top with a scoopful of scallops. Serve with extra parmesan cheese.