Delicious chicken, two types of beans, and heaps of smoky and spicy flavors make this 20-minute Mexican Chicken Soup a low-carb favorite in our house!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cans great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven or large pot. Heat on medium heat, add onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, saute for one minute.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer.
- Using a food processor or a potato masher, mash one can of great northern beans until it resembles a chunky paste. Add the paste and remaining two cans of beans to the pot.
- Partially cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The bean paste will help
- Top with cheese, jalapenos and cilantro as desired.
- Serving Size: 10