Caramelized onions and bacon add sweet and salty flavors to these creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes.
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter (for caramelized onions in pan)
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled, diced and boiled or steamed until very soft (I used Ore Ida Steam and Mash from frozen section)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter, softened (to add to potatoes)
- 1/4 lb bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Add onions and 3 tbsp butter into a large skillet. Saute on low-medium heat for 20-25 minutes, until onions are caramelized. Stir occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked potatoes, another 3 tbsp butter and milk.Mash gently until there are no lumps. Do not “puree.”
- Add bacon, caramelized onions, cheese and pepper. Gently stir until combine.
- Taste. Add a pinch of salt if necessary. Serve.
- I personally think that the bacon adds enough salt for this dish, but if you need extra salt, add it in a pinch at a time.
- To speed the process, buy Ore Ida Steam and Mash Potatoes. They cook in the microwave in about 10 minutes and mash easily without lumps.
- If you’d like to use heavy cream, I’d recommend substituting the 2/3rd’s cup of milk in equal parts cream and chicken broth.
- Serving Size: 5