A delicious Mexican casserole with layers of creamy pork, spicy salsa verde and tortillas.
- 2 cups shredded pork or chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cups salsa verde (choose the heat you like best, we buy “hot” salsa)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pork/chicken, sour cream, 3/4 cup of salsa, cumin and cayenne. Stir well.
- Grease 8×8” baking pan, then spread 1/4 cup of salsa verde on bottom of pan.
- Add half of the tortillas and half of the pork mixture. Sprinkle with tomatoes, cilantro, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Optional: Top with leftover salsa before serving.
- Substitute a can of diced tomatoes for fresh tomatoes if desired. Remember to strain the tomatoes.
- If freezing, bake from frozen for 40-50 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6