My #1 most requested appetizer recipe! Crunchy water chesnuts wrapped in smoky bacon, then doused in a sticky, sweet barbecue sauce.
- 12 slices of Farmland bacon, cut in half
- 1 can of water chesnuts, whole (not sliced!)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- For the bacon wrapped chestnuts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wrap each individual water chestnut in bacon and secure with toothpick.
- Place bacon wrapped water chestnuts on large baking sheet with edges to contain grease* and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven** and flip over. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until bacon is crispy, but not burned.
- For the sauce
- Combine ketchup and brown sugar in small sauce pan. Cook on low until the brown sugar melts, stirring often.
- Add several dashes of Worcestershire, stir, and taste. Add additional if desired.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer wrapped chestnuts onto a serving platter, and pour sauce over top to coat.
- * I really dislike soggy bacon. While you can cook these on a greased baking sheet, I recommend using a cookie cooling rack placed inside of a baking sheet to keep the bacon lifted off the pan. This will keep them out of the grease, and the bacon will get nice and crispy!
- **Be very careful when removing these from the oven. They generate a lot of grease, and the oven will be very steamy when you open it. I recommend opening the oven and letting the steam escape before you bend down to get them out.
- Serving Size: 8