You will love how easy this family friendly recipe (Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken) is! Chicken breast pieces are cooked in the slow cooker with a sweet soy based Mongolian barbecue sauce. Serve with rice or low-carb slaw, and top with diced green onions for the perfect weeknight dinner! We love this slow cooker mongolian chicken recipe!
My first manager in the corporate world was a hoot. She was a veteran, sharp as a whip, and had the most random phrases. “Back to the salt mines” was one of them, and I’ve been saying it for the past 24 hours. It’s a ridiculous way to describe my great day job in a comfortable office, but man, it’s hard going back after these long weekends no matter what job you do!
Despite loving my day job, I’ve been super burned out lately. I really think that three-day weekends should be more evenly staggered throughout the year, or maybe Craig and I need to get a vacation on the books. This long weekend did us so much good, and helped us reconnect. We got ice cream, rode bikes, took naps, watched movies, and barbecued with friends. I finally hung some pictures around the house. I hope your families enjoyed the long weekend, too! Here’s some pics from our adventures, how cute is Eli with his little friend Edward?
And of course, I did some cooking. On Friday morning, I stuck this mongolian chicken in the slow cooker. That evening, we ate it with simple instant white rice and both RAVED over how tasty it was. My method is a bit different, and I’m going to give you an option here. I placed the chicken in the crock pot with HALF of the sauce. Most of the sauce was absorbed by the chicken, but what was leftover in the crock pot was runny because of the chicken juices. I’ve never truly understood how to get a nice, thick sauce in the crock pot when you’re also cooking meat in it, so I stopped trying!
Once the chicken was cooked, I simmered the rest of the mongolian sauce in a skillet to thicken it, then added the chicken and tossed it in the sauce. This step takes an extra five minutes, but helps keep the sauce nice and thick. I think it’s totally worth it! But, if you want to do it all in the crockpot, that’s fine too. Just dump 100% of the sauce in with the chicken. Your sauce will be a little thin from the chicken juices, but still very tasty. And the chicken is SO juicy and flavorful!
Serve with instant white or brown rice, and you have a very easy, very tasty meal!Print
Your family will love these easy chinese dish, made in the slow cooker! The sauce is a delicious sweet soy based sauce.
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Save for later (don’t add to crock)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 green onion stalks, finely diced
- Add chicken breast pieces to crockpot.
- In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, add oil, ginger, garlic, soy, water, and brown sugar. Pop in the microwave for one minute to help encourage the sugar to dissolve, then stir well.
- Add HALF of the sauce to the crockpot, stir well. Cover and cook on high for three hours, or low for six hours. Store remaining sauce in fridge.
- Add remaining sauce from fridge to large skillet. Add corn starch and turn burner to medium heat. Simmer the sauce, stirring constantly to thicken, about five minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the crockpot and stir into heated sauce. Add diced green onions, serve.
Save for later
- Serving Size: 4