The little birds pack a powerful flavor punch. Rubbed in five spice powder, garlic and ginger and then basted with a soy-based Mongolian grill sauce, they are crazy delicious!
For the Hens
- 2 Tyson 100% Natural Rock Cornish Hens (about 20 ounces each)
- 2 tbsp 5 Spice powder
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ginger
For the Mongolian Grill Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 green onion stalks, finely diced
- Remove Tyson Cornish Hens from package. Give them a quick rinse, and place on plate. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Truss the legs and wings to ensure even cooking.
- Mix together five spice powder, garlic and ginger, then evenly coat the Hens with the spice mixture. Allow Hens to sit and marinate in spice rub for about 20 minutes.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add olive oil, ginger, garlic,Kikkoman soy sauce, water and brown sugar. Stir, and microwave sauce for 1 minute. Add diced green onions, allow to sit.
- Grill Hens over high, direct heat for 2-3 minutes each side. Make sure to oil the grill grates first.
- Switch hens to low, indirect heat and grill for 12-15 minutes each side, basting with Mongolian Grill Sauce each time the bird is flipped.
- Serve with Mongolian Grill Sauce for dipping.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, pile all the coals on one side of the kettle. Use this side for the high heat portion of cooking, then move the Hens to the side without coals for the remainder.
- If you are using a gas grill, grill over bottom grate for high heat portion of cooking, then move up to top rack for indirect, low heat cooking.
- Serving Size: 2