Homemade blackberry and almond custard paired with an easy, pre-bought puff pastry cup. The perfect late summer dessert or appetizer!
- 1 box Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Cups
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh blackberries, roughly mashed with fork, and strained
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 24 fresh blackberries, rinsed and dried
- sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake puff pastry cups on ungreased baking sheet for 20 minutes. Follow instructions on puff pastry package for shaping of cups.
- Have egg whisked and ready in a small bowl. Sit within reach of stove.
- In a small saucepan, add milk, sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat. Whisk occasionally. Heat milk mixture until tiny bubbles form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Quickly about 1 tablespoon of the heated milk mixture into the whisked eggs and mix. This will help bring them up to temperature before you add them into the milk mixture.
- Then, slowly pour egg mixture into pan with milk, whisking constantly. Add strained and mashed blackberries.
- Return pan to low-medium heat and whisk until the custard thickens. This will take about three minutes.
- Add almond extract, stir, and allow custard to cool. You can choose to chill in the fridge.
- Add a heaping teaspoon of cooled or chilled custard to each cooked pastry cup. Top with a fresh blackberry and sprinkle with sugar. Serve.
- Serving Size: 12