Smoky chipotle peppers give this American classic a fun, spicy twist!
- 3 smoked bacon slices, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (use your favorite!)
- 1 cup beer*
- 2 tbsp light molasses
- 1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, minced
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can Pinto beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can Light Red Kidney beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, add bacon and cook until crisp, around 5 minutes.
- Add onion, and allow to sweat with bacon for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off burner and remove from heat. Add bbq sauce, beer, light molasses, mustard, brown sugar, Worcester and soy sauces, stir.
- Add diced La Morena Chipotle peppers, stir.
- Add beans, stir.
- If using dutch oven, transfer directly into oven. If using skillet, transfer beans into 13×9” casserole baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool for several minutes before serving.
- I used a light wheat beer. I think a pilsner or dark stout would also be great.
- Serving Size: 5