When I was in college, puppy chow was my go-to “stressed out” snack. Final exams? Make some puppy chow. Too many consecutive nights of partying? Make some puppy chow. Guy problems? Puppy chow! It’s a really good thing that I lived just a few blocks from the gym, and had a college students metabolism. To me, puppy chow was the best possible guilty pleasure. Right next to reality TV marathons, People magazines and boxed blush wine. Remember, this was before smart phones and obviously, also before I developed a real palate for wine. Even though my tastes have evolved, I still love the classic combination that puppy chow brings. Peanut butter and chocolate, the crunchiness, and of course, the sugar buzz!
Recently, I was introduced to the wonder of “white” puppy chow. This puppy chow tastes like a delicious cake. It is so different than traditional puppy chow, but just as good. White puppy chow allows you to more easily incorporate sprinkles or candy for a festive holiday. St. Patrick’s Day? Hit it with some green sprinkles! Christmas? Green and red! It’s so easy, festive, and doesn’t even require an oven. What’s not to love?
Ready for a delicious, festive, patriotic treat? Let’s do it!
First, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Then, add the cake mix and stir. Stir in the cereal, mixing well to coat. Stir gently so you don’t break the cereal.
Add in powdered sugar and stir again to coat. Add sprinkles, M&Ms, or any other festive decorations, and stir again!
Yes, I did hand sort red and blue M&Ms from a mixed bag. Don’t judge me!
Mix it all together, and serve!
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 package white chocolate candy melts
- 1/4 cup white cake mix
- 3 tbsp red sprinkles
- 3 tbsp blue sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup red, white and blue M&M's (optional)
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows (optional)
- Melt white chocolate candy melts in microwave safe. This took me about two minutes total, but I recommend you check them frequently.
- Once the white chocolate candy melts are melted, stir in the cake mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cereal, melted white chocolate, and sprinkles. Stir well to coat the cereal.
- Toss the coated cereal with powdered sugar to coat.
- Add in M&Ms and marshmallows, toss to mix.