We’re feeling summer in full force here in Kansas City, and my tastes have already changed dramatically. I’m craving lighter food, less hearty meals, and way more fruit! Lucky for us, strawberries are plentiful and cheap right now. Between my son and I, we eat several pints a week! The husband isn’t a fan (his loss).
When I set out to make these cookies, I intended to whip up some plain old cream cheese frosting to top them with. But, I saw the crate of strawberries in the fridge and decided to make a cookie that “tastes like summer!” I to used the fresh strawberries in the icing to create a cookie where two bright and flavorful summer fruits coexist beautifully.
Did I mention that these cookies couldn’t be easier? Three ingredient cookies, three ingredient icing. Really!
Ready for a delicious and easy cookie that tastes like summer? Let’s do it!
First, combine the lemon cake mix, eggs and oil in a mixing bowl. Beat until well blended, about one minute. The dough should be sticky and thick. (Check out my little helper!)
Scoop up the dough using a teaspoon and form into a ball. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Allow to cool. While they’re cooling, whip up the icing! Fresh strawberries, powdered sugar and cream cheese are all you need, although you MUST make it in the food processor or blender to ensure the strawberries are pureed.
Ice the cookies, garnish and eat! Since this icing has fresh, uncooked fruit in it, please keep the icing refrigerated right until you need to ice the cookies. It is absolutely delicious, but not shelf stable like commercial frosting. You can’t ice the cookies, then let them sit overnight without an undesired change to the icing!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Optional: More strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil in large mixing bowl. Blend until well mixed and doughy, about 45 seconds.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop batter and form into a ball with your hands. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 9 minutes. Remove from pan, transfer to waxed paper or cooling rack to cool.
- Place strawberries in food processor or blender and puree.
- Add in cream cheese and powdered sugar, blend until well combined.
- Please store the frosting in the refrigerator, until ready to serve. It is not shelf stable like prepackaged frosting due to the addition of fresh fruit.