Herb rubbed grilled flank steak with a sweet caramelized onion.
Ah, grilling season! I love you so. I especially love the chance to grill cuts like flank steak, that only taste good to me when cooked on the grill! This is our first flank steak of the season. Trust me, there are many more to come!
I love flank steak because it has intense flavor and is super affordable. We typically rub it in cumin and chile powder, grill it, and top it with fresh corn and tomato relish. YUM! But this time, I wanted to try something different. I spied this recipe in my local grocery store’s mailer, which typically has some pretty great recipes. They used rib-eye, which we have deemed a “sometimes food” due to the high price of beef right now. We decided to use flank steak instead of rib-eye.
Fair warning, this is not my normal weeknight recipe. The sauce, while very hands off, takes some time to simmer. I’d recommend planning this for a special weekend dinner!
Ready for flavorful flank steak topped with a decadent sauce? Let’s do it!
First, cut the onion into long slices. Add to a skillet with olive oil and butter, and set to cook and caramelize for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
While the onions are caramelizing, start the remainder of the sauce in a small saucepan. You’ll add what feels like every condiment in your fridge (ketchup, soy sauce, lemon juice, etc.), but I promise it goes very quick and is worth it!mLet the brown sauce simmer for about 25 minutes until it’s well reduced and bubbly, then add to the finished caramelized onions.
While I was in the kitchen working on the sauce, my husband got the grill fired up. He rubbed the flank steak with garlic powder and black pepper, then threw it on a super hot grill for about 5 minutes each side. This yielded a steak that was medium rare through the middle, and medium to medium well on the thinner end pieces.
Once the steak is done, pull it off the grill and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing it to let the juices re-distribute. Top with the sauce, and serve!
Grilled flank steak topped with a savory caramelized onion sauce and bleu cheese.
For the steak
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs garlic salt
For the sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tbsp buttter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 heaping tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- crumbled gorgonzola or bleu cheese, to taste
For the caramelized onion sauce
- Chop onion into long, thin pieces. Add to large skillet with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until onions are golden brown and soft.
- In a separate, small saucepan, add ketchup, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes until liquid is well reduced, then stir in finished caramelized onions. Remove saucepan from heat.
For the steak
- Remove flank steak from package. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Add garlic salt and black pepper.
- Grill over high heat for about 5 minutes each side.
- Top cooked steak with finished caramelized onion sauce. If you desire, sprinkle with gorgonzola or bleu cheese.
- Serving Size: 4