My brother was married in St. Lucia almost ten years ago. It was a small affair, just immediate family and their closest friends. I was 21, and had never been out of the country.
It was a magical trip for me. I loved the people and I really loved the food. Every afternoon at the hotel, I’d haul my tan, skinny behind into the beach restaurant and eat jerk chicken and fries.
I’ve never fully recreated the marinated and grilled, slightly sticky, chicken that I had in St. Lucia. I’ve found scratch recipes online and bookmarked them, but never followed through. It’s labor intensive and doesn’t fit in my time crunched life right now.
So, I’ve come up with a modified version of Jerk chicken that can easily serve as a weeknight meal. Using the crockpot, prepared Jerk seasoning, and a few fresh ingredients, this comes together so super easily. Pair it with brown or white instant rice and you have a meal!
There’s no real good reason to use chicken breasts in this recipe. Chicken thighs or drums would work just as well for this crock pot jerk chicken!Print
So much flavor in this dish! Super healthy crock pot jerk chicken served with an orange and brown sugar glaze, topped with sliced avocados and cilantro.
- 4 chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup jerk seasoning
For the topping
- 1 avocado, sliced into thin strips
- cilantro, chopped
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Place chicken breasts in single layer in bottom of crockpot.
- Cover with orange juice and juice of one lime.
- Cover the chicken and juice mixture with jerk seasoning.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot, and check for doneness.
For the glaze
- In a small saucepan, add 1 cup of the remaining juices from crockpot and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by at least half.
- Top chicken with sliced avocado, then drizzle the glaze over the top.
- Tip: If you are serving with rice, purchase instant rice, and follow the microwave instructions on the box! It yields perfect rice every time, and no scrubbing burned rice I love using Pyrex bowls for this.
- Serving Size: 4