I’m a sucker for one pan meals. This is technically a two pan meal, since you have to boil the pasta, but it still has the benefit of not requiring a big clean-up effort after dinner!
I’ve been experimenting with a cajun pasta dish for a while now. Typically, you see recipes with chicken. I like to use authentic andouille sausage, which cooks up super quickly in the skillet and adds tons of flavor.
Most cajun pasta recipes call for cream, but honestly, I think it’s unnecessary in most cases. I prefer to use low fat cream cheese, which has about half the calories. Cream cheese also has a much longer shelf life, and you can freeze it! I don’t even want to know how many partially used cartons of heavy cream I’ve thrown out because it had gone bad.
This pasta uses light cream cheese to make a rich, creamy, and super flavorful dish that is ready in about 20 minutes. You can fit that in on the weeknight, right?
Serve with crusty bread and top with grated Parmesan, and let the good times roll!Print
A super fast skillet dinner with andouille sausage, penne pasta, and a spicy cream sauce.
- 16 oz pasta
- 1 lb andouille sausage, uncooked
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 9 oz diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage on medium high until cooked through, about ten minutes.*
- Cut cooked sausage into bite-sized pieces and return to the pan.
- To the skillet, add 8 oz cream cheese and diced tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Stir constantly until cream cheese melts.
- Add spices and chicken broth into skillet, stir until well combined.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet, stir and serve.
- *Precooked sausage is fine.
- Serving Size: 4