I saw a huge produce display of zucchini and yellow squash yesterday, and literally jumped for joy. I never feel that way in September, after several months of eating nothing but zucchini and tomatoes, but after a long, cold winter they were a sight for sore eyes.
This pasta is what my house typically calls “trash pasta.” I realize that’s an off putting name for food, but hear me out. During the summer months, I make this simple, creamy pasta, substituting whichever vegetables I have in the refrigerator that are on the brink of extinction. Tomatoes, corn, and zucchini are the most common, but name a veggie (or fruit) and I’ve probably found a way to incorporate it in my “trash” pasta. It keeps veggies from spoiling and going unused, and it’s delicious. Win, win, right?
This pasta incorporates zucchini and yellow squash with onions and shallots. Saute these vegetables while your pasta boils, then add cream cheese and chicken broth to the pan to create a simple cream sauce.
Loaded with veggies, this simple, quick pasta dish makes a fantastic side dish or a wonderful vegetarian entree. We often make this recipe when we’re practicing “Meatless Mondays!”
A simple, delicious pasta dish. Combines fresh vegetables and a cream sauce. Once you learn the basics, you can use this recipe as a base, substituting whatever vegetables and pasta you have on hand.
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced (yellow or white)
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pasta. I use bucatini.
- Fill a large pot with salted water for the pasta. Set on burner to boil.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and heat on medium high.
- Add garlic, shallots, and onion to skillet, sauté for five minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables, sauté for two minutes.
- Reduce skillet to low heat.
- Add cream cheese. Stir constantly, slowly adding chicken stock.
- When cream cheese is melted, add chili flakes and Parmesan cheese. stir to combine.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet, stirring to combine.