My son is a serious sleepyhead, and I still hesitate to wake him up most mornings. Although he’s not a baby any longer, the phrase “never wake a sleeping baby” is permanently lodged in my brain!
Because of this, breakfast is typically a rushed state during the week. I found myself resorting to prepackaged foods for quick breakfasts, until I began experimenting with freezer cooking.
Freezer cooking for breakfast is an absolute godsend. I know that my son is eating healthy, homemade food. I typically defrost 1-2 egg muffins in the microwave, and cut up fresh fruit. I add in pancakes, muffins, or french toast sticks, also from the freezer. A homemade, healthy breakfast in less than a minute and no dishes to clean before you head out the door!
I love using my Wilton Mini Muffin Pan from Target! Mini sized muffins cook up quickly, and more importantly, reheat from frozen lightening fast!
I did quite a bit of experimenting with these egg muffins, and this is the recipe I have stuck with. The fillings can be very versatile. You can substitute chopped deli ham or turkey, different types of cheese, and add whatever vegetables you have in the fridge. Our favorite is bacon and cheddar!
These are ready in less than 15 minutes, and will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a mini muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl, crack eggs and beat until yolks are broken and well mixed. Add in milk and whip until fluffy. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- In the muffin pan, layer the shredded cheese and bacon into the cups so that they are about 1/3 of the way full.
- Pour egg mixture into each cup, until cups are about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until egg muffins are solid. No liquid should remain.
- Allow to cool before popping out of pan.
- This recipe is so versatile. Substitute whatever cheese you have on hand. Add vegetables or chopped deli meat. There is no need to buy fillings, use what you have!
- Freeze these muffins single-layer in a quart sized zip lock bag. To reheat, microwave for 20-30 seconds on high.