Deliciously simple three cheese stuffed shells with a homemade tomato sauce. Freezes beautifully!
For the shells
- 16 Jumbo Shells
- 32 ounces of ricotta cheese (whole milk or part skim)
- 8 ounces of mozarella cheese
- 1.5 cups grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup parsley, dried or fresh chopped
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp basil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Fill an 8 qt stockpot with water, and set on burner to boil. Salt the water. Add jumbo shells to boiling water and cook for 9 minutes, then drain. Shells should be partially done.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- While the onions and garlic are sauteing, add the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and parsley into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- To the sauce pan, add the marinara sauce, tomato paste, and diced/crushed tomatoes, as well as the basil. Simmer.
- When pasta is done, drain. Using 2 8×8 casserole pans, cover the bottom of each pan with tomato sauce, about 2/3rd cup. Carefully stuff each shell with the ricotta cheese mixture. There should be 8 shells to each pan. Then, cover the shells with the remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes until the tomato sauce is boiling and shells are heated through.
- Please note that this make two meals worth of stuffed shells. One for the table, and one for the freezer to enjoy at a later date! Please halve if you only would like one meal.
- Serving Size: 4